Like the rest of the world I am captivated by the enigma that is Downton Abbey. And as a self confessed clothing addict and fashion lover, my appreciation for Susanna Buxton (Downton's costume designer) grows with each and every episode. The amount of work that goes into every dress worn by Lady Grantham and the young ladies is just unbelievable, there is just so much eye for detail.
Thanks to The Great Gatsby and Downton Abbey the 20s are hot and happening right now. And how can you not get inspired by the beautiful fashion of that period? But unfortunately it is not easy to dress in a 'Downton' way without looking like you are going to a fancy dress party. However, you can dress with the same flair as Lady Mary (without an enormous price tag) by incorporating certain Downton elements into your own outfits. Below you will find three outfits worn on Downton Abbey, two by Lady Mary and one by Lady Rose, and their modern day equivalents.
Outfit 1: Lady Mary walking in the gardens
One of my go-to outfits at the moment: a cream embroidered lace blouse, green trousers and nude heels.
1. Ivory lace blouse, Dorothy Perkins, $25.00
2. Cameo and faux-pearl earrings, Modcloth, $11.99
3. Green slim fit trousers, H&M, $24.95
4. Nude patent PU-leather Mary Jane pumps, Nine West at Bonton, $59.99
5. Dark green pleated midi skirt, ASOS, $35.60
6. Nude scalloped suede Mary Jane pumps, Loft, $89.50
7. Embroidered mesh top with lace inserts, Free People, $98.00
Outfit 2: Lady Rose running errands
The combination of an oversized coat and a long skirt make Lady Rose's costume very 1920s.
Change those for a cardigan and a pair of skinny jeans, and the outfit is very much 2013.
1. Long royal blue soft scarf with fringe, Karma Loop, $18
2. Crochet cloche hat, Like Freja on Etsy, $35.00
3. Gray skinny jeans, H&M, $19.95
4. Black patent leather Mary Jane pumps, Carvela at John Lewis, £59.00
5. Zig zag print cardigan, Chico's, $49.98
6. Gray woolen texting gloves, Lauren Ralph Lauren at 6pm.com, $24.99
Outfit 3: Lady Mary at the station
With this costume you can basically change Mary's long skirt for a pair of dark skinny jeans and have a great casual chic outfit in one of the colours of this winter: bordeaux.
What do you think? Would Carson approve?
- ABOUT TATIANA -
Hi there! I am a fashion and travel enthusiast living in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Tatiana's Delights is your online resource for preppy and minimalist fashion, travel tips, affordable home decor and adorable cat photos. You can find out more about Tatiana's Delights here.
- LET'S CONNECT -
- INSTAGRAM -